Monday, October 4, 2010

The weekend & Intimacy with God

This weekend was nice and relaxing. We may have activities or ministry some Saturdays, but this weekend we had free time. I originally planned on doing laundry on Saturday, but the washing machine is still not working. I wanted to go for a walk as well, but a friend on the base said, " oh just say pura vida" ( pure life), and worry about it later. So, I did, and went to eat Mexican and hang out with some girls on my team and one of the cool staff girls, Anabell. We had fun, and it was nice to get off the base and see the city. I am still a little hesistant about eating here on the base, so eating out worried me just a tad bit more. Praise the Lord, I haven't had any issues that aren't out of the ordinary for a change in diet. The beans eventually catch up to most folks here, if you know what I mean. :)

 I ended up taking my clothes to the cleaners up the road today. It is a little more than double than it would cost doing it here on the base, but I do not want to wash clothes by hand again. I washed my clothes in a bathtub all summer in Spain 7 years ago, and I for one, enjoy technology, and don't want to do that ever again in this lifetime! I am going to wash some items by hand, but I think I can make better use of my time but having someone else do most of my laundry. I did not give them my favorite jeans because I want to see how they do with my t shirts and shorts. I am also all about supporting local businesses here.

Church was nice yesterday. We walked to church, and it was so beautiful to see the mountains surrounding the city on a clear day. It took us about 8 minutes to get there and we were there about 2 hours. The pastor spoke on prayer, and one of our teammates is a former HS Spanish teacher, so she translated for us. It was a good word, and then he wanted us to practice, so we got into groups and prayed. I prayed with the translater, Jody, and a native named Janet. She was getting married for the second time next year, so I got to pray for her and her upcoming marriage. I ate a protein bar once we got back from church and then got ready to go for a walk and to the store. I got some good exercise in, then went to the store. As I posted on Facebook yesterday, the store was busy, just like it is in the U.S. on Sundays. I found some tuna that said it was gluten free in Spanish, so that was exciting. I bought some bananas, tortillas, yogurt, mayo, lactose free milk, and a few of my new favorite sweet cakes made from corn. The little cakes are not very sweet at all, but they hit the spot, along with some milk, when I want a little something sweet.
  
I forgot to mention that we just lost a few classes on the base because the Bible Core Class just finished, and the July DTS team just left for NIKO camp. We will do this camp our 12th week here. It’s interesting not having all the folks around here like we did the first week. I made some friends, and then they left. I have made friends from all over the world in a little over a week! I have friends now from Norway, New Zealand, Germany, Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Mexico, Canada, and all over the USA. I met one sweet girl who was living in Pittsburgh, PA, and we discovered this as we were on the computer. She is 21, and her name is Debbie. Most of the girls on base are 18-24, and I’ve enjoyed getting to know many of them who are quite extraordinary for their age. I hope to love on and mentor these girls in the coming months.

Today we started classes along with the only other school on base right now on the topic of Intimacy with God. WOW! Vanessa is staff here and she is a very charismatic and passionate teacher. (All of my classes are in Spanish and English by the way.) I am so excited about learning more Spanish! I learned so much about the love of God that I can’t even begin to process the information. I came to the conclusion today that I don’t know anything about the love of God. I really look forward to learning more this week, and then hopefully sharing what I can comprehend! I pray that this is one of many topics that will totally redefine the way I think about the attributes or things of God.

Please keep me in your prayers as my teammates and I are still not on the same page as far as when we go to bed. This has been really frustrating for me becuase I want and need my sleep.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment