Tuesday, September 28, 2010

First day of classes , family contributions and more

Yesterday was our first day of classes and we received a lot of info. I think I'm going to learn a lot here, and will have many things to ponder daily. We received a journal yesterday and were told to decorate it and make it our own. We will take notes from our speakers in it and also we have to write about a different attribute of God weekly. We received our first of three books to read as well ,and our first book report is due 10/18. We have the last 2 books to read and do reports on by the end of November. I will stay pretty busy, but I'm looking forward to learning and growing in Christ these next 3 months of the lecture phase. All of our team finally arrived and we have already formed some great bonds. I am feeling more and more comfortable each day, and this is because the staff , my team, and the other students here are so incredible. These people are so loving and truly extraordinary. I was a little emotional yesterday and then I found out that my family contribution was to clean the ladies bathroom and showers.Somehow I knew that I was going to get this work duty", and I am a total germ freak, so touching nasty toilets is not my favorite duty if you know what I mean! I do however, have much experience with this task because of my closing duties at HEB grocery as a high school and college student. Also, I was the only one assigned that duty, but 2 of our guys are cleaning the mens facilities. So, I didn't want to complain and God is soooo good, because today I got help, and the staff  told me that they were going to look at the schedule again to get me permanent help. What a humbling job, but we are learning to be servants here after all. So, when I first started cleaning, a girl named Amy came in, and I just shared a little with her about how I was having a hard time adjusting. She mentioned that she struggled as well upon arrival here, and we had a good chat while I was cleaning. Then she offered to pray for me, and of course I said yes! Ever since then, I've had a such a peace, and I had a great day today. I am so sorry for not mentioning this next sentence in the last 2 posts, but I was struggling and couldn't see this experience for what it really is all about. I AM TRULY BLESSED TO BE HERE, AND LOOK FORWARD TO WHAT THE LORD HAS IN STORE FOR ME AND THROUGH ME AND MY TEAM. Most of the people on the base, including staff, are younger than me, but they are so full of the LORD Jesus Christ, and His wisdom, love, mercy, and kindness. IT IS A PRIVILEGE TO BE HERE! While I was cleaning today, 3 ladies who came to use the restroom thanked me for serving them! I was so blessed to hear that I was being a blessing by scrubbing funky toilets!!! I have to share this as well from Sunday morning. We did not go to church this weekend, but will visit 3 churches in the next 3 weeks. We will then select a church to attend for the next 2 months. We all shared how God brought us to Costa Rica, and I was amazed at all of my teammates testimonies. I was already emotional, and then Pedro told about how he has had a dream to be a missionary for 15 years. He got to the point where he couldn't talk anymore, and he just wept. I could totally relate since I wanted to do missions since 2003 so I just broke down crying with him. I have cried so much the last few days, but it really feels good to just release my emotions. On Monday, I cried all during worship. Like I said in my first post, I can't really explain why I'm crying so much, but I knew one reason as to why I was crying yesterday. As I looked around during worship, I saw many nations represented here, and they were all worshiping my God, our God.I was just completely overwhelmed at what God is doing is doing in peoples' hearts all over the world. Okay, I 'm really tired, so I'll post more later.

2 comments:

  1. What books are you reading Stephanie? I pray you have a great day today and that you feel loved by those around you and our amazing God!! We have a cool front here this week and it's absolutely gorgeous. I'm going to take Ben out this afternoon for a walk!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph,

    I cannot imagine doing what I am doing for the rest of my life b/c this is not what I was called to do, but I have a feeling I'm going to cry like a baby once I have entered my promised land on this earth. You my dear, are there, your promised land is a reality, cry, laugh, and join in His pureness of joy that comes only from being in His will and in His timing, b/c EVERYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL IN HIS OWN TIMING, how about those empanadas, are they in the mail now?!? LOL

    ReplyDelete