Sunday, September 26, 2010

My first few days in Costa Rica

It is hard to believe I'm back in Costa Rica! It still seems so surreal that I'm here, and will be here longer than a week or two. It has been great to see everyone that I met in March, and to meet my team. The transition has been more difficult that I expected. I'm not sure why, but I have cried a alot, especially today. I can't explain why I'm so emotional, but I think I had to let go of loved ones & the comforts of home for one thing, and I also believe that God is breaking me already. Please pray for my transition here so that I can focus on what God has for me and wants to do through me. I can say that God knows me so well, because we have been giving lots of hugs on our team yesterday & today. The people here are so full of God's love, and they have made me feel so welcome. Our Discipleship Training School will have 19 students, but we are still waiting for 2 Guatemalen students to arrive. Most students are under the age of 24, so I feel kind of old. I think I'm the 2nd oldest in the group, but I'm too shy to ask how old Jo Jo is just yet. The last few days have been pretty laid back, as we are getting accustomed to our new home and life on the base. We took a bus downtown yesterday so they could show us how to take the bus downtown. We live in an area of town called Santa Marta, and the ride is about 30 plus minutes with traffic. We went to the Central Market, a huge indoor market, where you can buy just about anything. I bought an empenada with chicken, and it was delicious. Since I can't eat the sandwiches for lunch on the weekends, I was looking for a gluten free pupusa or some other snack made from corn. As it turns out here, they use corn to make empenadas ( they probably have flour ones too), which I thought were only made from flour. Today we had orientation and learned the rules and expectations here on base, as well as our schedule. We rise early, and breakfast is served from 6:30a to 7. From 7a-8a, is our personal devotion time, from 8a-9am, is either praise & worship as an entire base or school, intercessory prayer, group devotions, or sport time. Class is from 9-12:30pm, with a break. Lunch is at 12:30, and then from 2-4pm, we either have small group, class again, outreach, and on Friday, we have free time. From 4-6p during the week, we work on the  base in our assigned area, but I won't find out what I'm doing until tomorrow. And after dinner, we will either have more class time, bible study, free time, or family night ( every 15 days). Fridays are fun nights. Sorry for the long post, but I'm tring to bring you up to speed. Please let me know that you will be on my prayer team, by posting on my blog that you will do so.  Goodnight for now...

2 comments:

  1. Steph,

    Good to hear from you!! James and I are praying for you and want to be on your prayer team!! I'm glad you found something you can eat...fun! I'm enjoying your blog. I'm praying for a speedy adjustment!! We are well. Ben has his two month app. tomorrow and will get shots. Pray that he won't have a reaction. love you friend!! Sarah :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chica bonita, I miss you, and count me to be on your prayer team. I am so excited for you, God is going to do such an amazing work in and through you, I LOVE ME SOME CHICKEN EMPANADAS, would you pls mail me some, ohhh yummy!!! Remember that the Lord put you there for such a time as this, which means, He knew that an older but yet so much wiser Godly woman will be needed there to befriend this young generation, SHARE HIS HOLY WISDOM, go thee and SHINE BRIGHT, LOVE YOU GIRLY!

    Vero

    ReplyDelete