Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Radical giving and Germany update

Sunday we went to Heredia (about 45 minutes from the base) to bring our skateboarding ramps and host a mini-skate contest. A new outdoor mini-theater opened that day, and the community had a several acts, including singing, dancing, martial arts. We just chatted with people that came out for the event, and I got to talk to several teens. I had a great and lengthy conversation with 2 girls who were cousins. There were a few Christians passing out tracts, so we talked about a tract they had received. I was able to share that they had to know Jesus personally, the options of heaven and hell, and how God had worked in my life. One of the girls found me on face book before I could request her as a friend, so I was stoked about that yesterday!!! We even met some guys from the USA who were a part of another missions organization called “Pura Vida Missions.” One guy was from Houston, and we found that we lived about 5 minutes away from each other! Small world, huh? We even have a mutual acquaintance in Kingwood, TX. He was trained as a paramedic by one of the science teachers in Humble ISD that was in my science collaborative!

I’m super excited to share about today, which was simply incredible! We had our 2nd day of lectures on relationships with our teacher for the week, Marjolein ( also co-director of our base). I always perk up my ears when someone is talking about relationships because I don’t think you ever arrive at a point in your life where you don’t need wisdom in this area. We will always have to be around people, even if we live alone. We have to work and go to the store, don’t we? I for one have been challenged by living in community here, and sometimes feel like screaming! As most of you know, I love people, and spend a lot of my free time with people, especially teens. I am developing more patience with people than I ever thought I would, but I have also had to ask for forgiveness after I have snapped at some folks here. I really miss my apartment and was so blessed to have a home where I could rest, read, worship, pray, and just recharge in peace. However, God wants to purify me, and in order to get all the junk to bubble out, He has to turn up the heat! Ouch!!!!

This morning we spent a few hours in worship and giving. I have never witnessed such Spirit-led and sacrificial giving. One by one, staff and students in my DTS, gave away items such as chocolate, purses, scarves, t-shirts, cologne, money, and even a laptop and camera!!!! Some folks even offered to do another student’s work duties for the week. I was just amazed at how each person walked in radical obedience.

One our brothers had his camera and iPOD stolen on Sunday. He had a such a great attitude, even though he was bummed about losing 2 of his most valuable possessions. He had been praying with a staff member for the last 2 days for God to provide a way for him to buy another camera. We also had 2 prophetic words, one for him and another for a staff worship leader. Well, the girl said that God was going to give him the money to get a new camera, and the within 30 minutes or so, he was given a camera!! One of girls had a really nice camera like the one he had, but she gave him a second camera she brought. She left the room again, and came back with the professional camera, and said God gave me a dream about giving him that camera instead!! We also had a young gal give her laptop to an older lady on our team. She went up to her room, and as soon as she walked though the door, God said give her the laptop! She was like, what??? Well, she gave our sister the laptop, and of course, a big hug. Our sister was crying, and was so shocked. She told us later that she had a laptop of that same brand, but it was stolen in Spain years ago. She said she actually wanted this which was a little smaller than the one she bought. Several people gave money towards outreach, and within minutes about $6,000 was donated!! We now need just over $13,000 for Europe!!! God just blew us away today and there were a lot of hugs, praises, tears, and shouts of joy!! He continues to out do Himself here, and He is growing our faith by leaps and bounds.

Personally, I received a bag of plantain chips with a little note on it. The giver received a verse from the LORD for me and it was Deuteronomy 28:12-14. It talks about how God will open up the heavens and bless the work of my hands. Look it up, it’s awesome!!! I was also blessed by a sweet guy in our group when he said he wanted to pray with me everyday. He told me “ I know how much you like for people to lay hands on you and pray for you.” He’s the guy who had his camera stolen, and I’m so impressed by this 18 yr. olds heart. My last gift was the best! The married couple on our team said they would give up their room at 7pm once a week so I can go to bed early! I have been so tired here, so just blew me away, and I know that God has heard my cries for more sleep!!! YEAH!!!!!!!! I will get to sleep in their room every Tuesday, except for this week, I’m going to sleep there tomorrow night! ( she will sleep in my bunk, and he will sleep in a bunk with some of the guys who have an extra bunk in their container.) This couple has been such a blessing to our team, and are wonderful young people of service and faith! I had bought a purse from the July DTS fundraiser the first week we were here, and one of the sweet girl here, said it was beautiful. I felt like I was supposed to give it to her at the end of our training, but I was asking God what He wanted me to give todya, and He reminded of the purse. I gave her the purse, but she had also received a purse from another girl right before I handed her mind. She was so overwhelemnd and cried and hugged me tightly. I know this is not the only thing that I am to give while I'm here because the Lord has been speaking to me about being generous despite the fact that I have no job. Now that's living by faith, right??? I know He will provide for me when I run out of funds, or He may just mulitply my bank account so I never run out!  He does math a little bit differently than we do, and someone out there can testify to this with me!!!!
We found out today that we are going to Jaco this weekend, probably Friday night to so some ministry there that night and Saturday. We will be leaving for Germany on Dec. 30th and return to the base on 2/7/2011, the day after my 32nd birthday. I am so excited to spend my birthday in Europe! We will spend our first week in Frankfurt, but don’t have set plans for the rest of our time there yet. We may stay in Germany the whole time, or travel to another country if God opens a door.

I am excited to get to travel a little more next month. We will get to go to 3 new places in the country, one of which is NIKO camp in the jungle. I’m excited to go, but heard that it’s a super intense week. I will remind you for more prayer that week!!!

God Bless and thanks for your prayers! I forgot to share the verse God gave me at McCafe last Saturday when He wouldn’t allow me to access the wi-fi. Psalm 57:2 says, I cry out to God Most High, to God, who fulfills His purpose for me.

PRAISE HIM, FOR HE HEARS OUR CRIES, AND DESIRES TO FULFILL HIS PURPOSES IN OUR LIVES!!!

May His peace be with you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment